StudioWorks Artist in Residency Program, Tides Institute and Museum of Art, Eastport, Maine
StudioWorks at the Tides Institute and Museum of Art offers residency opportunities to visual artists and printmakers to deepen and develop their practice within a community setting at a ground floor print shop located within our historic downtown and working waterfront community of Eastport, Maine. The residency provides a unique experience for an artist to create within a public context and play an active role in our creative community. Eastport, Maine, is located within an ‘artsipelago’ of communities along the international border between the Province of New Brusnwick, Canada and State of Maine, USA. The StudioWorks program mission, supported by a national award from ARTPLACE, is to place the arts in the center of the community, utilizing the arts and artists to foster, engage, and create a vital and vibrant downtown.
• Beginning March 15, 2013, up to 12 weeks, minimum 1 month
Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1
• Open application for artists in the media of photography, digital photography, traditional and digital printmaking, drawing, letterpress printmaking, installation or a mix of these media
• Eligibility information: The StudioWorks residency program is open to professionally established US and non-US visual artists. Residencies occur throughout the year.
Application deadline: January 15, 2013. One deadline for all residencies during 2013. Earliest start date of residency: March 15, 2013. Please specify in your application your preferred month(s) of residency.
Facilities & Services
• Housing: Studio apartment, with kitchenette in historic 1800’s cape.
• Meals: meals not provided.
• Computer/internet access: Internet connection provided.
• Companions: Generally residency is for artist only. Accommodations for spouse or family members can be arranged under certain circumstances. Room and board arrangements for family and guests are the responsibility of the artist.
• Accessibility: housing/studios are accessible.
• Studios/special equipment: Traditional and digital printmaking equipment; Ettan etching press—12 w x 24 l in.; Takach etching press—24 w x 36 l in.; Vandercook No. 4 letterpress; a 6×9 Sigwalt tabletop letterpress; a Line-O-Scribe tabletop letterpress; a Nolan tabletop proof press; a 34-inch Toulmin board shear, and considerable quantity of wood and metal type. Other equipment includes an Epson Expression 10000XL (17 x 22) photo scanner; 21.5″ iMac (3.2 GHz) with OS X Lion; Adobe CS6; Epson 3880 (17-inch) color printer.
• Other: Smoking is not permitted in the studios, housing or TIMA. Travel cost, travel and accident insurance and all materials costs are the responsibility of the applicant. Applicants from foreign countries are also responsible for acquiring appropriate visas, travel documents and arranging for shipment of their artwork. Phone and personal living expenses are also the responsibility of each resident during his/her stay.
Stipend: $2,500 per month
Additional expectations: Artists should submit a one-page proposal outlining their residency. Beginning dates and end dates for the residency must be specified. Successful proposals will involve a description of the proposed work, which includes a public, community engagement component utilizing printmaking or other media. Artists may use community input and works from the collection as a point of inspiration or use TIMA’s historic building as part of their installation work. Possible media could include photography, digital photography, printmaking, drawing, letterpress printmaking, installation or a mix of these. For an introduction to the collection, see TIMA web site for a selection of 100 works from the collection: http://www.tidesinstitute.org/tides/art/art.html. The successful applicant will be expected to be on site and available for at least 30 hours in the studio. The artist is expected to donate two pieces of artwork, one to be for TIMA’s permanent collection and another to be offered for fundraising.
• Application form with signed agreement – artist agrees to be in the studio for at least 30 hours a week and give a public artist’s talk. Also see www.tidesinstitute.org for residency info and application form.
• Current CV
• 10-12 Examples of work on CD. Format: jpeg, optimal image size is 1920 pixels on the longest side at a resolution of 96 dpi and a file size under 5mb.
• Image list with numbered list that corresponds to numbered images. Each list item should include title, media, size and date.
• 1-page residency proposal addressing community engagement component and preferred residency dates throughout the year. Possible to begin as early as March 15, 2013.
• Application fee $25 in check or money order made out to TIMA.
Completed application form, CV, images, image list and 1-page proposal should be burned to a CD and mailed to Tides Institute and Museum of Art (TIMA), P.O. Box 161, Eastport, ME 04631 USA, with the $25 check or money order application fee. Deadline: January 15, 2013.
Tides Institute and Museum of Art
43 Water Street, P.O. Box 161
Eastport, ME 04630
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (207) 843-4047 For an application and more information visit: www.tidesinstitute.org